>>>>> "eg" == Emily Grettel <emilygrettelis...@hotmail.com> writes:

    eg> What do people already use on their enterprise level NAS's?

For a SOHO NAS similar to the one you are running, I mix manufacturer
types within a redundancy set so that a model-wide manufacturing or
firmware glitch like the ones of which we've had several in the last
few years does not take out an entire array, and to make it easier to
figure out whether weird problems in iostat are controller/driver's
fault, or drive's fault.  If there are not enough manufacturers with
good drives on offer, I'll try to buy two different models of the same
manufacturer, ex get one of them an older model number of the same
drive size/featureset.  Often you find two mini-generations are on
offer at once.

At the moment, I would not buy any WD drive because they have been
changing drives' behavior without changing model numbers which makes
pointless discussions like this one because the model numbers become
meaningless and you cannot bind your experience to a repeatable
purchasing decision other than ``do/don't buy WD''.  When the dust
settles from this silent-firmware-version-bumps and 4k-sector
disaster, I would buy WD again because the more mfg diversity, the
more bad-batch-proofing you have for wide stripes.

I used to buy near-line drives but no longer do this because it's
cheaper to buy two regular drives than one near-line drive, but this
may be a mistake because of the whole vibration disaster.