On Thu, June 3, 2010 12:03, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>>
>> In an 8-bay chassis, there are other concerns, too.  Do I keep space
>> open
>> for a hot spare?  There's no real point in a hot spare if you have only
>> one vdev; that is, 8-drive RAIDZ3 is clearly better than 7-drive RAIDZ2
>> plus a hot spare.  And putting everything into one vdev means that for
>> any
>> upgrade I have to replace all 8 drives at once, a financial problem for
>> home server.
>
> It is not so clear to me that an 8-drive raidz3 is clearly better than
> 7-drive raidz2 plus a hot spare.  From a maintenance standpoint, I
> think that it is useful to have a spare drive or even an empty spare
> slot so that it is easy to replace a drive without needing to
> physically remove it from the system.  A true hot spare allows
> replacement to start automatically right away if a failure is
> detected.

But is having a RAIDZ2 drop to single redundancy, with replacement
starting instantly, actually as good or better than having a RAIDZ3 drop
to double redundancy, with actual replacement happening later?  The
"degraded" state of the RAIDZ3 has the same redundancy as the "healthy"
state of the RAIDZ2.

Certainly having a spare drive bay to play with is often helpful; though
the scenarios that most immediately spring to mind are all mirror-related
and hence don't apply here.

> With only 8-drives, the reliability improvement from raidz3 is
> unlikely to be borne out in practice.  Other potential failures modes
> will completely drown out the on-paper reliability improvement
> provided by raidz3.

I wouldn't give up much of anything to add Z3 on 8 drives, no.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info