On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Arne Jansen wrote:

> We found that the zfs utility is very inefficient as it does a lot of
> unnecessary and costly checks.

Hmm, presumably somebody at Sun doesn't agree with that assessment or you'd
think they'd take them out :).

Mounting/sharing by hand outside of the zfs framework does make a huge
difference. It takes about 45 minutes to mount/share or unshare/unmount
with the mountpoint and sharenfs zfs properties set, mounting/sharing by
hand with SHARE_NOINUSE_CHECK=1 even just sequentially only took about 2
minutes. With some parallelization I could definitely see hitting that 10
seconds you mentioned, which would sure make my patch windows a hell of a
lot shorter. I'll need put together a script and fiddle some with smf, joy
oh joy, I need these filesystems mounted before the web server starts.

Thanks much for the tip!

I'm hoping someday they'll clean up the sharing implementation and make it
a bit more scalable. I had a ticket open once and they pretty much said it
would never happen for Solaris 10, but maybe sometime in the indefinite
future for OpenSolaris...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  hen...@csupomona.edu