Good morning all.

This question has probably poped up before, but maybe not in this exact way…

I am planning on building a SAN for my home meta centre, and have some of
the raid cards I need for the build. I will be ordering the case soon, and
then the drives. The cards I have are 2 8 port PXI-Express cards (A dell
Perc 5 and a Adaptec card…). The case will have 20 hot swap SAS/SATA drives,
and I will be adding a third RAID controller to allow the full 20 drives.

I have read something about trying to setup redundancy with the RAID
controllers, so having zpools spanning multiple controllers. Given I won’t
be using the on-board RAID features of the cards, I am wondering how this
should be setup…

I was thinking of zpools: 2+2+1 X 4 in ZRAID2. This way, I could lose a
controller and not lose any data from the pools… But is this theory correct?
If I were to use 2Tb drives, each zpool would be 10Tb RAW and 6TB useable…
giving me a total of 40Tb RAW and 24Tb usable…

Is this over kill? Should I be worrying about losing a controller?

Thanks in advance.

--Tiernan