> I am planning on building a SAN for my home meta centre, and have some
> of the raid cards I need for the build. I will be ordering the case
> soon, and then the drives. The cards I have are 2 8 port PXI-Express
> cards (A dell Perc 5 and a Adaptec card…). The case will have 20 hot
> swap SAS/SATA drives, and I will be adding a third RAID controller to
> allow the full 20 drives.

First, you won't need a RAID controller. Just get something cheap with lots of
ports. It'll suffice - ZFS will do the smart stuff.

> I was thinking of zpools: 2+2+1 X 4 in ZRAID2. This way, I could lose
> a controller and not lose any data from the pools… But is this theory
> correct? If I were to use 2Tb drives, each zpool would be 10Tb RAW and
> 6TB useable… giving me a total of 40Tb RAW and 24Tb usable…

I don't see the point of using more than one pool. Just use more VDEVs in the
same pool, and redundancy will be just as good as with more pools, and a single
pool is far more flexible.

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--