We have a server with a couple X-25E's and a bunch of larger SATA
disks.

To save space, we want to install Solaris 10 (our install is only about
1.4GB) to the X-25E's and use the remaining space on the SSD's for ZIL
attached to a zpool created from the SATA drives.

Currently we do this by installing the OS using SVM+UFS (to mirror the
OS between the two SSD's) and then using the remaining space on a slice
as ZIL for the larger SATA-based zpool.

However, SVM+UFS is more annoying to work with as far as LiveUpgrade is
concerned.  We'd love to use a ZFS root, but that requires that the
entire SSD be dedicated as an rpool leaving no space for ZIL.  Or does
it?

It appears that we could do a:

  # zfs create -V 24G rpool/zil

On our rpool and then:

  # zpool add satapool log /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/zil

(I realize 24G is probably far more than a ZIL device will ever need)

As rpool is mirrored, this would also take care of redundancy for the
ZIL as well.

This lets us have a nifty ZFS rpool for simplified LiveUpgrades and a
fast SSD-based ZIL for our SATA zpool as well...

What are the downsides to doing this?  Will there be a noticeable
performance hit?

I know I've seen this discussed here before, but wasn't able to come up
with the right search terms...

Thanks,
Ray