On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 07:18:59AM -0700, Erik Trimble wrote:

> Not to beat a dead horse here, but that's an Apples-to-Oranges

No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

> comparison (it's raining idioms!).  You can't compare an OEM server
> (Dell, Sun, whatever) to a custom-built box from a parts assembler.  Not
> that same thing. Different standards, different prices.

Sure, if your 3rd party disks don't play nice with your chassis, or
you need cubic-carbon-studded platinum level support for your mission
critical piece of infrastructure you're out out to lunch if
it hits it ;p

However, in a whole series of anecdotes I've done quite well ditching
Dells and Suns and HPs for Supermicro, and sourcing disks (and sometimes
memory) from the likes of TechData and IngramMicro. No doubt, others have
very different stories to tell.