----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 07:18:59AM -0700, Erik Trimble wrote:
>
> > Not to beat a dead horse here, but that's an Apples-to-Oranges
>
> No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
>
> > comparison (it's raining idioms!). You can't compare an OEM server
> > (Dell, Sun, whatever) to a custom-built box from a parts assembler.
> > Not
> > that same thing. Different standards, different prices.
>
> Sure, if your 3rd party disks don't play nice with your chassis, or
> you need cubic-carbon-studded platinum level support for your mission
> critical piece of infrastructure you're out out to lunch if
> it hits it ;p
>
> However, in a whole series of anecdotes I've done quite well ditching
> Dells and Suns and HPs for Supermicro, and sourcing disks (and
> sometimes
> memory) from the likes of TechData and IngramMicro. No doubt, others
> have
> very different stories to tell.

I cannot but agree. We have just as little downtime with our supermicros than
all the other hardware we have (mostly HP and Sun). So long as you get hardware
that the OS understands and with which the drives work well, you're set. If you
need a Porsche or a Mercedes or a Subaru Impreza WRX STI, well, go get it. I'd
rather get more Supermicros and let them play together, so that when one fails,
the other still play, and beleive me, your Sun or HP or Dell or IBM systems
will fail just as badly as the Supermicros.

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk