Giovanni Tirloni <gtirl...@sysdroid.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Miles Nordin <car...@ivy.net> wrote:
> > IMHO it's important we don't get stuck running Nexenta in the same
> > spot we're now stuck with OpenSolaris: with a bunch of CDDL-protected
> > source that few people know how to use in practice because the build
> > procedure is magical and secret.  This is why GPL demands you release
> > ``all build scripts''!
>
> I don't know if the GPL demands that but I think we've all learned a
> lesson from Oracle/Sun regarding that.

The missing requirement to provide build scripts is a drawback of the CDDL.

...But believe me that the GPL would not help you here, as the GPL cannot
force the original author (in this case Sun/Oracle or whoever) to supply the
scripts in question.

> Releasing source code and expecting people to figure out the rest
> could be called "open source" but it won't create the kind of
> collaboration people usually expect.

As mentioned above, there is no license that can help you here.
The OpenSource definition frm the OSI is a general guidline that
contains rules to decide whether a license is free enough to get the
OSS sticker.

> For any "fork" (or whatever people want to call it, there are many
> shades of gray) to succeed, the release and documentation of the
> build/testing infrastructure used to create the end product is as
> important as the main source code itself.
>
> I'm not saying Oracle/Sun should have released all and everything they
> used to create the OpenSolaris binary distribution (their product).
> I'm saying they should have first stopped treating it as a proprietary
> product and then released those bits to further forster external
> collaboration. But now that's all history and discussing about how
> things could have been done won't change anything.

You unfortunately cannot enforce the author or Copyright holder....

> I hope that if we want to be able to move OpenSolaris to the next
> level, we can this time avoid falling into the same mouse trap.

This is a community issue.

Do we have people that are willing to help?

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)