On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 17:54 -0600, Eric D. Mudama wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14 at 23:51, Tim Cook wrote:
> > Out of the fortune 500, I'd be willing to bet there's exactly zero
> > companies that use whitebox systems, and for a reason.
> > --Tim
>
> Sure, some core SAP system or HR data warehouse runs on name-brand
> gear, and maybe they have massive SANs with various capabilities that
> run on name brand gear as well, but I'd guess that most every fortune
> 500 company buys some large number of generic machines as well.
>
> (generic being anything from newegg build-it-yourself to the bargain
> SKUs from major PC companies that may not have mission-critical
> support contracts associated with them)
>
> Any company that believes it can add more value in their IT supply
> chain than the vendor they'd be buying from would be foolish not to
> put energy into that space (if they can "afford" to.)  Google is but a
> single example, though I am sure there are others.

They may *believe* they can, but no one ever does, because you trade
increased manpower for up-front hardware cost. And companies aren't
willing to do that.

I've been around a large number of different environments (finance,
publishing, development, ISP, ASP, even HW manufacturing), and the only
place I've ever seen non-name-brand servers in a datacenter/server room
production configuration is for Google-like massive deployments.
Whitebox machines proliferate in SQE and desktop environs where they're
burnable and disposable. But for any kind of production use (or those
with a Deployment staging or QA setup), I've only ever seen brand-names,
WITH the service contract fully paid up.

IT departments are *always* critically understaffed, and in order to
make a whitebox deployment successful for production use, you need
dedicated staff for that - PERMANENT staff. Companies don't do that.
Admins are just so chronically overworked that they have no ability to
spend any extra time on making a whitebox setup usable for production,
even if they have the expertise.  And you better believe that us Admins
won't even think about production support for a box that doesn't have a
service contract on it. Hardware and Software.  Because no matter how
good you are, you can't think of everything (or, if you can, it takes
awhile) - and, the 20 hours it just took you to fix that machine could
have been 2 hours if it had a service contract. Doesn't take too long
for that kind of math to blow out any savings whiteboxes may have had.

Worst case, someone goes and buys Dell.  :-)

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support