Rodrigo E. De León Plicet wrote:
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@oracle.com> wrote:
(2) Ubuntu is a desktop distribution. Don't be fooled by their "server"
version. It's not - it has too many idiosyncrasies and bad design choices to
be a stable server OS.  Use something like Debian, SLES, or RHEL/CentOS.

Why would you say that?

What "idiosyncrasies and bad design choices" are you talking about?

Just curious

I asked Erik about this.  Here is the consolidated discussion:

> [...]

H>>> big discussion threads on http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ .  This moving
H>>> target characteristic certainly makes it harder to get programs working
H>>> that aren't already in the repositories.  At least an LTS release has a
H>>> safe 3 year usage window (as all LTS packages are maintained for 3 years,
H>>> and server packages are maintained for 5 years).

H>>> Ubuntu's long term stability (i.e. software compatibility) appears
H>>> intended to stay within a single LTS version, which I feel is really
H>>> only 'for sure' for 3 years.  That is on the short end of the range of
H>>> even popular general desktop OSes (WinXP is an outlier).
H>>>
H>>> In spite of its shortcoming, the primary advantages Ubuntu maintains are
H>>> 1.) wider, earlier hardware support
H>>> 2.) rapid iteration: a regular release cycle that gets software into
H>>> testing and use, in preparation for the next release cycle for that
H>>> software and Ubuntu as a whole
H>>>
H>>> I think Ubuntu LTS still makes sense for machines (even servers) that
H>>> don't need long-term stability (i.e. software compatibility) and can
H>>> benefit from the earlier hardware support it offers. It's not an OS to
H>>> install and leave alone (only patching) for extended time periods.

E>> All of which is fine if you're running a home server, or maybe designing
E>> a black-box device.  None of which is acceptable for general-purpose,
E>> server-room machines.
H> It is fine for virtual servers intended to run small/ephemeral
H> websites that you don't mind migrating again in the near term.  Not so
H> good for an important piece of backbone infrastructure that simply
H> needs to run without periodic tuning.

E>> Product cycles there are 8-10 years, and there
E>> has to be significant upgradability (i.e. I should be able to expect to
E>> upgrade my OS and not break anything for a span of about 20 years,
E>> covering probably 3 major releases).  Solaris, AIX, and HPUX can all do
E>> this, as can RedHat and SuSE/Novell.   Ubuntu's just not server-room
E>> ready, and won't be until they decide to change the development goals
E>> for the "server" product version. Which, I think, is unlikely

H> In that respect Microsoft did pretty well with Windows and backwards
H> compatibility.  A fair number of Win 3.1 apps (~1992) still work fine
H> on 32bit WinXP (2001-present), although sometimes DLLs/libraries must
H> be tracked down.  I find the expectation of little breakage over 20
H> years a bit much.  Sure, between two adjacent significant releases can
H> be expected, but beyond that is going to require a specific commitment
H> from the OS vendor or an installed entrenched user base.  Ubuntu does
H> not offer this type of commitment and does not have the user base that
H> needs it. H>
H> Solaris: 7 years for patches, 10 years total per
H> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/lifecycle.xml
H> AIX: 5-7 total years per
H> http://www-01.ibm.com/software/support/lifecycle/index_a_z.html
H> Novell/SUSE: 7 years for patches, 10 years total per

Yup, but that's *per release*.  Solaris (for instance) has binary
compatibility and library compatibility all the way back to Solaris 2.0
in 1991. AIX and HPUX are similar.  *very* few things ever break between
releases on professional UNIX systems.  Those that do, have had a
considerable amount of pre-notice (usually at least 1 full release of
deprecation before the feature is removed).  20 years isn't much to ask.
RedHat and SLES both do over 10 years back at this point, through 3
releases each.

H> May I share your clarification/our conversation with the list?

Sure.