On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Gary Gendel wrote:

Right now I have a machine with a mirrored boot setup.  The SAS drives are 43Gs
and the root pool is getting full.

I do a backup of the pool nightly, so I feel confident that I don't need to
mirror the drive and can break the mirror and expand the pool with the detached
drive.

I understand how to do this on a normal pool, but is there any restrictions for
doing this on the root pool?  Are there any grub issues?

You cannot stripe a root pool. Best you could do in this instance is to create a new pool from the detached mirror. You may want to consider keepting the redundancy of the mirror config so that zfs can automatically repair any corruption it detects.