> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Gary Gendel
>
> I do a backup of the pool nightly, so I feel confident that I don't
> need to mirror the drive and can break the mirror and expand the pool
> with the detached drive.
>
> I understand how to do this on a normal pool, but is there any
> restrictions for doing this on the root pool?  Are there any grub
> issues?

Yes.  There are positively grub issues.  Have a look here:
Actually, I couldn't find something *specifically* for your case, so I'll
refer to what I know.  The "bare metal" backup/recovery process has all the
details you need, plus more.
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Troubleshooting_Guide#Com
plete_Solaris_ZFS_Root_Pool_Recovery

Here's what I think is of interest to you:
format & partition your new disk.
Mirror slice0 of your first disk to slice0 of the new disk.
This should take care of the "bootfs" property for you.
But you'll still need to "installgrub" on the new device.

And I believe that's all there is to it.

According to the ZFS Troubleshooting Guide, the "autoexpand" property was
created in b117, not available in 2009.06 or sol10 yet.  There is no mention
of how to expand your disk in older versions.  So ...  Obviously if you can
afford downtime, it's possible to do via zfs send/receive.  But I don't know
how to do it without downtime.