On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:36 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <d...@dd-b.net> wrote:

> On Tue, August 10, 2010 16:41, Dave Pacheco wrote:
>> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>>> If that turns out to be the problem, that'll be annoying to work around
>>> (I'm making snapshots every two hours and deleting them after a couple
>>> of
>>> weeks).  Locks between admin scripts rarely end well, in my experience.
>>> But at least I'd know what I had to work around.

I've had good luck with locks (eventually), but they are not trivial
if you want them to be robust. It usually takes a bunch of trial and
error for me.

>>> Am I looking for too much here?  I *thought* I was doing something that
>>> should be simple and basic and frequently used nearly everywhere, and
>>> hence certain to work.  "What could go wrong?", I thought :-).  If I'm
>>> doing something inherently dicey I can try to find a way to back off; as
>>> my primary backup process, this needs to be rock-solid.

It looks like you are trying to do a full send every time, what about
a first full then incremental (which should be much faster) ? The
first full might run afoul of the 2 hour snapshots (and deletions),
but I would not expect the incremental to. I am syncing about 20 TB of
data between sites this way every 4 hours over a 100 Mb link. I put
the snapshot management and the site to site replication in the same
script to keep them from fighting :-)

--
Paul Kraus