This is not entirely correct either. You're not forced to use VMFS.

You can format the LUN with VMFS, then put VM files inside the VMFS; in this
case you get the Guest OS filesystem inside a VMDK file on the VMFS filesystem
inside a LUN/ZVOL on your ZFS filesystem. You can also set up Raw Device
Mapping (RDM) directly to a LUN, in which case you get the Guest OS filesystem
inside the LUN/ZVOL on your ZFS filesystem. There has to be VMFS available
somewhere to store metadata, though.

It was and may still be common to use RDM for VMs that need very high IO
performance. It also used to be the only supported way to get thin provisioning
for an individual VM disk. However, VMware regularly makes a lot of noise about
how VMFS does not hurt performance enough to outweigh its benefits anymore, and
thin provisioning has been a native/supported feature on VMFS datastores since
4.0.

I still think there are reasons why iSCSI would be better than NFS and vice
versa.

-Will