David,

Thanks for your reply.  Answers to your questions are below.

> Is it just ZFS hanging (or what it appears to be is
> slowing down or
> blocking) or does the whole system hang?&nbsp; <br>

Only the ZFS storage is affected.  Any attempt to write to it blocks until the
issue passes.  Other than that the system behaves normally.  I have not, as far
as I remember, tried writing to the root pool while this is going on, I'll have
to check that next time.  I suspect the problem is likely limited to a single
pool.

> What does iostat show during the time period of the
> slowdown?<br>
> What does mpstat show during the time of the
> slowdown?<br>
> You can look at the metadata statistics by running
> the following.
> echo ::arc | mdb -k<br>
> When looking at a ZFS problem, I usually like to
> gather
> echo ::spa | mdb -k<br>
> echo ::zio_state | mdb -k<br>

I will plan to dump information from all of these sources next time I can catch
it in the act.  Any other diag commands you think might be useful?

> I suspect you could drill down more with dtrace or
> lockstat to see
> where the slowdown is happening.

I'm brand new to DTrace.  I'm doing some reading now toward being in a position
to ask intelligent questions.

-Charles