On 28/09/10 09:22 PM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
I also have this problem on my system which consists of an AMD Phenom 2
X4 with system pools on various hard drives connected to the SB750
controller and a larger raidz2 storage pool connected to an LSI 1068e
controller (using IT mode). The storage pool is also used to share
files using CIFS. The build of the OSOL is 134 and the system pools use
zpool v22. But the storage pool still uses zpool v14 from the original
2009.06 release of OSOL.

I have not encountered any errors or intermittent freezes in any of
these pools until I started using VirtualBox 4.2.8. The virtual
machines have been set up to access the storage pool via vboxsrv. When
doing various activities in a virtual machine that involves heavier
disk access (such as playing/streaming video, using bittorrent, etc)
via vboxsrv I also get this intermittent freeze of the zpool stack. The
rest of the system works fine (including the virtual machine) as long
as it doesn't involve access to the storage pool (I have not yet tried
accessing other pools during this freeze). It is easily seen on the
system monitor when the network access suddenly drops to zero for a few
minutes. Issuing commands such as 'zpool status' makes the ssh/bash
shell freeze until the zpool wakes up again. No errors are reported
when issuing the 'zpool status' command and all pools are 'ONLINE'. I
could give more exhaustive details from hardware scans as suggested in
this thread if that is desired...

Two possibilities:
(1) you're using ZFS vols for swap - these had some performance
    improvements in builds after 134. If you can reconfigure to
    use a raw slice (or two) instead that would help.

(2) 6908360 49.3% snv_129 vdb407_nvSeqWriteBs128kFs1g_zfs-raidz performance regression x86
    which was fixed in snv_135.

James C. McPherson
--
Oracle