> From: Richard Elling [mailto:rich...@nexenta.com]
>
> This operational definition of "fragmentation" comes from the single-
> user,
> single-tasking world (PeeCees). In that world, only one thread writes
> files
> from one application at one time. In those cases, there is a reasonable
> expectation that a single file's blocks might be contiguous on a single
> disk.
> That isn't the world we live in, where have RAID, multi-user, or multi-
> threaded
> environments.

I don't know what you're saying, but I'm quite sure I disagree with it.

Regardless of multithreading, multiprocessing, it's absolutely possible to
have contiguous files, and/or file fragmentation.  That's not a
characteristic which depends on the threading model.

Also regardless of raid, it's possible to have contiguous or fragmented
files.  The same concept applies to multiple disks.