> From: Richard Elling [mailto:rich...@nexenta.com]
>
> It is practically impossible to keep a drive from seeking.  It is also

The first time somebody (Richard) said "you can't prevent a drive from
seeking," I just decided to ignore it.  But then it was said twice.  (Ian.)

I don't get why anybody is saying "drives seek."  Did anybody say drives
don't seek?

I said you can quantify how much "fragmentation" is acceptable, given drive
speed characteristics, and a percentage of time you consider acceptable for
seeking.  I suggested "acceptable" was 99% efficiency and 1% time waste
seeking.  Roughly calculated, I came up with 40 MB sequential data per
random seek would yield 99% efficiency.

For some situations, that's entirely possible and likely to be the norm.
For other cases, it may be unrealistic, and you may suffer badly from
fragmentation.

Is there some point we're talking about here?  I don't get why the
conversation seems to have taken such a tangent.