> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Peter Taps
>
> The dedup property is set on a filesystem, not on the pool.
>
> However, the dedup ratio is reported on the pool and not on the
> filesystem.

As with most other ZFS concepts, the core functionality of ZFS is
implemented in zpool.  Hence, zpool is up to what ... version 25 or so now?
Think of ZFS (the posix filesystem) as just an interface which tightly
integrates the zpool features.  ZFS is only up to what, version 4 now?

Perfect example:

If you create a zvol in linux, without formatting it zfs, and format it
ext3/4, then you can snapshot it, and I believe you can even "zfs send" and
receive.  And so on.  The core functionality is mostly present.  But if you
want to access the snapshot, you have to create some mountpoint, and mount
read-only the snapshot zvol to the mountpoint.  It's not automatic.  It's
barely any better than the crappy "snapshot" concept linux has in LVM.  If
you want good automatic snapshot creation & seamless mounting & automatic
mounting, then you need the ZFS filesystem on top of the zpool.  Cuz the ZFS
filesystem knows about that underlying zpool feature, and makes it
convenient and easy good experience.  ;-)