> From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk [mailto:r...@karlsbakk.net]
>
> > For now, the rule of thumb is 3G ram for every 1TB of unique data,
> > including
> > snapshots and vdev's.
>
> 3 gigs? Last I checked it was a little more than 1GB, perhaps 2 if you
> have small files.

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=131761

The true answer is "it varies" depending on things like block size, etc, so if
you want to say 1G or 3G, despite sounding like a big difference, it's in the
noise.  We're only talking "rule of thumb" here, based on vague (vague) and
widely variable estimates of your personal usage characteristics.

It's just a rule of thumb, and slightly over 1G ~= slightly under 3G in this
context.

Hence, the comment: