> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Stephan Budach
>
> Now, scrub would reveal corrupted blocks on the devices, but is there a
> way to identify damaged files as well?

I saw a lot of people offering the same knee-jerk reaction that I had:
"Scrub."  And that is the only correct answer, to make a best effort at
salvaging data.  But I think there is a valid question here which was
neglected.

*Does* scrub produce a list of all the names of all the corrupted files?
And if so, how does it do that?

If scrub is operating at a block-level (and I think it is), then how can
checksum failures be mapped to file names?  For example, this is a
long-requested feature of "zfs send" which is fundamentally difficult or
impossible to implement.

Zfs send operates at a block level.  And there is a desire to produce a list
of all the incrementally changed files in a zfs incremental send.  But no
capability of doing that.

It seems, if scrub is able to list the names of files that correspond to
corrupted blocks, then zfs send should be able to list the names of files
that correspond to changed blocks, right?

I am reaching the opposite conclusion of what's already been said.  I think
you should scrub, but don't expect file names as a result.  I think if you
want file names, then tar > /dev/null will be your best friend.

I didn't answer anything at first, cuz I was hoping somebody would have that
answer.  I only know that I don't know, and the above is my best guess.