> I have a Dell R710 which has been flaky for some time.  It crashes about once
> per week.  I have literally replaced every piece of hardware in it, and
> reinstalled Sol 10u9 fresh and clean.
> I am wondering if other people out there are using Dell hardware, with what
> degree of success, and in what configuration?
> The failure seems to be related to the perc 6i.  For some period around the
> time of crash, the system still responds to ping, and anything currently in
> memory or running from remote storage continues to function fine.  But new
> processes that require the local storage ... Such as inbound ssh etc, or even
> physical login at the console ... those are all hosed.  And eventually the
> system stops responding to ping.  As soon as the problem starts, the only
> recourse is power cycle.
> I can't seem to reproduce the problem reliably, but it does happen
> regularly.  Yesterday it happened several times in one day, but sometimes it
> will go 2 weeks without a problem.
> Again, just wondering what other people are using, and experiencing.  To see
> if any more clues can be found to identify the cause.

Hi, we've been running opensolaris on Dell R710 with mixed results, some work
better than others and we've been struggling with same issue as you are with
latest servers.
I suspect somekind powersaving issue gone wrong, system disks goes to sleep and
never wake up or something similar.
Personally, I cannot recommend using them with solaris, support is not even
close to what it should be.

Yours
Markus Kovero