> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Peter Taps
>
> If I have 20 disks to build a raidz3 pool, do I create one big raidz
> vdev or do I create multiple raidz3 vdevs? Is there any advantage of
> having multiple raidz3 vdevs in a single pool?

whatever you do, *don't* configure one huge raidz3.

Consider either:  3 vdev's of each 7-disk raidz1, or 3 vdev's of 7-disk
raidz2, or something along these lines.  Perhaps 3 vdev's of each 6-disk
raidz1, and two hotspares.

raidzN takes a really long time to resilver (code written inefficiently,
it's a known problem.)  If you had a huge raidz3, it would literally never
finish, because it couldn't resilver as fast as new data appears.  A week
later you'd destroy & rebuild your whole pool.

If you can afford mirrors, your risk is much lower.  Because although it's
physically possible for 2 disks to fail simultaneously and ruin the pool,
the probability of that happening is smaller than the probability of 3
simultaneous disk failures on the raidz3.  Due to smaller resilver window.

I highly endorse mirrors for nearly all purposes.