> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Toby Thain
>
> > I don't want to heat up the discussion about ZFS managed discs vs.
> > HW raids, but if RAID5/6 would be that bad, no one would use it
> > anymore.
>
> It is. And there's no reason not to point it out. The world has

Well, neither one of the above statements is really fair.

The truth is:  radi5/6 are generally not that bad.  Data integrity failures
are not terribly common (maybe one bit per year out of 20 large disks or
something like that.)

And in order to reach the conclusion "nobody would use it," the people using
it would have to first *notice* the failure.  Which they don't.  That's kind
of the point.

Since I started using ZFS in production, about a year ago, on three servers
totaling approx 1.5TB used, I have had precisely one checksum error, which
ZFS corrected.  I have every reason to believe, if that were on a raid5/6,
the error would have gone undetected and nobody would have noticed.