On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 17:32 -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> > boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Marty Scholes
> >
> > Would it make sense for scrub/resilver to be more aware of operating in
> > disk order instead of zfs order?
>
> It would certainly make sense.  As mentioned, even if you do the entire disk
> this way, including unused space, it is faster than making the poor little
> disks randomly seek all over the place for tiny little fragments that
> eventually add up to a significant portion of the whole disk.
>
> The main question is:  How difficult would it be to implement?

Ideally, you want the best of both worlds:  ZFS is currently *much*
faster when doing partial resyncs (i.e. updating stale drives) by using
the walk-the-metadata-tree method.   However, it would be nice to have
it recognize when a full disk rebuild is required, and switch to some
form of a full disk sequential copy.

The problem with a full sequential copy is threefold, however:

(a) you (often) copy a whole lots of bits that aren't actually holding
any valuable info

(b) it can get a little tricky distinguishing between the case of an
interrupted full-disk resilver and a freshen-the-stale-drive resilver.

(c) You generally punt on any advantage of knowing how the pool is
structured.

Frankly, if I could ever figure out when the mythical BP rewrite (or
equivalent feature) will appear, I'd be able to implement a defragger
(or, maybe, a "compactor" is a better term). Having a defrag util keep
the zpool relatively compacted would seriously reduce the work in a
resilver.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support