Hello list,

I'm having trouble with a server holding a lot of data. After a few
months of uptime, it is currently rebooting from a lockup (reason
unknown so far) but it is taking hours to boot up again. The boot
process is stuck at the stage where it says:
mounting zfs filesystems (1/5)
the machine responds to pings and keystrokes. I can see disk activity;
the disk leds blink one after another.

The file system layout is: a 40 GB mirror for the syspool, and a raidz
volume over 4 2TB disks which I use for taking backups (=the purpose
of this machine). I have deduplication enabled on the "backups" pool
(which turned out to be pretty slow for file deletes since there are a
lot of files on the "backups" pool and I haven't installed an l2arc
yet). The main memory is 6 GB, it's an HP server running Nexenta core
platform (kernel version 134f).

I assume sooner or later the machine will boot up, but I'm in a bit of
a panic about how to solve this permanently - after all the last thing
I want is not being able to restore data one day because it takes days
to boot the machine.

Does anyone have an idea how much longer it may take and if the
problem may have anything to do with dedup?

--
Frank Van Damme
No part of this copyright message may be reproduced, read or seen,