On 02/ 7/11 03:45 PM, Matthew Angelo wrote:
I require a new high capacity 8 disk zpool.  The disks I will be
purchasing (Samsung or Hitachi) have an Error Rate (non-recoverable,
bits read) of 1 in 10^14 and will be 2TB.  I'm staying clear of WD
because they have the new 2048b sectors which don't play nice with ZFS
at the moment.

My question is, how do I determine which of the following zpool and
vdev configuration I should run to maximize space whilst mitigating
rebuild failure risk?

1. 2x RAIDZ(3+1) vdev
2. 1x RAIDZ(7+1) vdev
3. 1x RAIDZ2(7+1) vdev

I assume 3 was 6+2.

A bigger issue than drive error rates is how long a new 2TB drive will take to resilver if one dies. How long are you willing to run without redundancy in your pool?

--
Ian.