I think as far as data integrity and complete volume loss is most likely in the following order:

1. 1x Raidz(7+1)
2. 2x RaidZ(3+1)
3. 1x Raidz2(6+2)

Simple raidz certainly is an option with only 8 disks (8 is about the maximum I would go) but to be honest I would feel safer going raidz2. The 2x raidz (3+1) would probably perform the best but I would prefer going with the 3rd option (raidz2) as it is better for redundancy. With raidz2 any two disks can fail and with dual parity if you get some un-recoverable read errors during a scrub you have a much better chance of not having corruption due to the double parity on the same set of data.