On Sat, February 5, 2011 03:54, Gaikokujin Kyofusho wrote:

> From what I understand using ZFS one could setup something like RAID 6
> (RAID-Z2?) but with the ability to use drives of varying
> sizes/speeds/brands and able to add additional drives later. Am I about
> right? If so I will continue studying up on this if not then I guess I
> need to continue exploring different options. Thanks!!

IMHO, your best bet for this kind of configuration is to use mirror pairs,
not RAIDZ*.  Because...

Things you can't do with RAIDZ*:

You cannot remove a vdev from a pool.

You cannot make a RAIDZ* vdev smaller (fewer disks).

You cannot make a RAIDZ* vdev larger (more disks).

To increase the storage capacity of a RAIDZ* vdev you need to replace all
the drives, one at a time, waiting for resilver between replacements
(resilver times can be VERY long with big modern drives).  And during each
resilver, your redundancy will be reduced by 1 -- meaning a RAIDZ array
would have NO redundancy during the resilver.  (And activity in the pool
is high during the resilver -- meaning the chances of any marginal drive
crapping out are higher than normal during the resilver.)

With mirrors, you can add new space by adding simply two drives (add a new
mirror vdev).

You can upgrade an existing mirror by replacing only two drives.

You can upgrade an existing mirror without reducing redundancy below your
starting point ever -- you attach a new drive, wait for the resilver to
complete (at this point you have a three-way mirror), then detach one of
the original drives; repeat for another new drive and the other original
drive.

Obviously, using mirrors requires you to buy more drives for any given
amount of usable space.

I must admit that my 8-bay hot-swap ZFS server cost me a LOT more than a
Drobo (but then I bought in 2006, too).

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info