Hello,

I'm debating an OS change and also thinking about my options for data migration to my next server, whether it is on new or the same hardware.

Migrating to a new machine I understand is a simple matter of ZFS send/receive, but reformatting the existing drives to host my existing data is an area I'd like to learn a little more about. In the past I've asked about this and was told that it is possible to do a send/receive to accommodate this, and IIRC this doesn't have to be to a ZFS server with the same number of physical drives?

How about getting a little more crazy... What if this entire server temporarily hosting this data was a VM guest running ZFS? I don't foresee this being a problem either, but with so much at stake I thought I would double check :) When I say temporary I mean simply using this machine as a place to store the data long enough to wipe the original server, install the new OS to the original server, and restore the data using this VM as the data source.

Also, more generally, is ZFS send/receive mature enough that when you do data migrations you don't stress about this? Piece of cake? The difficulty of this whole undertaking will influence my decision and the whole timing of all of this.

I'm also thinking that a ZFS VM guest might be a nice way to maintain a remote backup of this data, if I can install the VM image on a drive/partition large enough to house my data. This seems like it would be a little less taxing than rsync cronjobs?

--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful, professional, custom designed, career-essential websites that are easy to maintain and to integrate with popular social networks.