On May 30, 2011, at 2:37 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:

> Following up on some of this forum's discussions, I read the manuals on
> SuperMicro's
> SC847E26-RJBOD1 this weekend.

We see quite a few of these in the NexentaStor installed base. The other
commonly
found 3.5" 24-drive JBOD is the DataON DNS-1600, a product staggeringly similar
Sun's J4400.

> At the very least, this box provides dual-expander backplanes (2 BPs for a
> total of
> 45 hot-swap disks), so each JBOD has 4 outgoing SFF8087 (4xSATA iPass)
> connectors.
> However it seems that the backplane chips are doubled for
> multipathing-failover within
> a single head node with dual connections from same or different HBAs.
> (Further on,
> backplanes may be daisy-chained to attach other JBODs to the same HBA path -
> but if you don't care much for bandwidth limitations).

We also commonly see the dual-expander backplanes.

> According to the docs, each chip addresses all disks on its backplane, and it
> seems
> implied (but not expressly stated) that either one chip and path works, or
> another.

For SAS targets, both paths work simultaneously.

> So if your application can live with the unit of failover being a bunch of 21
> or 24 disks -
> that might be a way to go. However each head would only have one connection to
> each backplane, and I'm not sure if you can STONITH the non-leading head to
> enforce
> failovers (and enable the specific PRI/SEC chip of the backplane).

The NexentaStor HA-Cluster plugin manages STONITH and reservations.
I do not believe programming expanders or switches for clustering is the best
approach.
It is better to let the higher layers manage this.

> Also one point was stressed many times in the docs: these failover backplanes
> require use of SAS drives, no SATA (while the single-path BPs are okay with
> both
> SAS and SATA). Still, according to the forums, SATA disks on shared backplanes
> often give too much headache and may give too little performance in
> comparison...

The cost of a SATA disk + SATA/SAS interposer is about the same as a native SAS
drive. Native SAS makes a better solution.

> I am not sure if this requirement also implies dual SAS data connectors -
> pictures
> of HCL HDDs all have one connector...

These are dual ported.

> Still, I gess my post poses mre questions than answers, but maybe some other
> list readers can reply...
>
> Hint: Nexenta people seem to be good OEM friends with Supermicro, so they
> might know ;)

Yes :-)
 -- richard