>I can lay them out as 4*3-disk raidz1, 3*4-disk-raidz1
>or a 1*12-disk raidz3 with nearly the same capacity (8-9
>data disks plus parity). I see that with more vdevs the
>IOPS will grow - does this translate to better resilver
>and scrub times as well?

Yes it would translate in better resilver times as any failures will affect
only one of the vdevs leading to a shorter parity restore time as oposed to
rebuilding the whole raidz2. As for scrubbing it would be as fast as the scrub
of each vdev since the whole pool does not have parity data to synchronize.

>How good or bad is the expected reliability of
>3*4-disk-raidz1 vs 1*12-disk raidz3, so which
>of the tradeoffs is better - more vdevs or more
>parity to survive loss of ANY 3 disks vs. "right"
>3 disks?

I'd say the chances of loseing a whole vdev in a 4*3 configuration equal the
chances of loseing 4 drives in a 1*12 raidz3 configuration - it might happen,
nothing is foolproof.