I think the risk of accidental disconnection is higher on the USB drive.  So
I would recommend swapping the disks inside the enclosures...  One 500
inside, one 500 outside, one 300 inside, one 300 outside.   Mirror the 500G
drives to each other, mirror the 300g drives to each other.  That way, if
you accidentally disconnect one or both of the external drives, you just
plug it back in and everything moves forward without any problem.