On 07/10/11 04:04 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

There were a lot of useful details put into the thread "Summary: Dedup and L2ARC memory requirements"

Please refer to that thread as necessary... After much discussion leading up to that thread, I thought I had enough understanding to make dedup useful, but then in practice, it didn't work out. Now I've done a lot more work on it, reduced it all to practice, and I finally feel I can draw up conclusions that are actually useful:

I am testing on a Sun Oracle server, X4270, 1 Xeon 4-core 2.4Ghz, 24G ram, 12 disks ea 2T sas 7.2krpm. Solaris 11 express snv_151a

Can you provide more details of your tests? I'm currently testing a couple of slightly better configured X4270s (2 CPU, 96GB RAM and a FLASH accelerator card) using real data from an existing server. So far, I haven't seen the levels of performance fall off you report.

I currently have about 5TB of uncompressed data in the pool (stripe of 5 mirrors) and throughput is similar to the existing, Solaris 10, servers. The pool dedup ratio is 1.7, so there's a good mix of unique and duplicate blocks.

--
Ian.