On 07/23/11 04:57, Michael DeMan wrote:
Generally performance is going to pretty bad as well - USB sticks are
not made to be written too rapidly. They are entirely different animals
than SSDs. I would not be surprised (but would be curious to know if you
still move forward on this) that you will find performance even worse
trying to do this.

Back in the snv_120 ish era I tried this experiement on both my pool and on a friends. In both cases we were serving NFS (he was also doing CIFS) which was mostly read but also had periods where 1-2 G of data was rapidly added (uploading photos or videos) over the network.

In both the USB "flash drive" and in the case of a San Disk Extreme IV CF card in a CF->IDE enclosure the performance did not improve and in fact in the case of the CF card the enclosure was bugging such that the changes we had to make to the ata config did actually make it slower.

I removed the separate log device from both of those pools (by manual hacking with specially build zfs kernel modules because slog removal didn't exist back then.).

--
Darren J Moffat