Alexander Lesle wrote:
And what is your suggestion for scrubbing a mirror pool?
Once per month, every 2 weeks, every week.

There isn't just one answer.

For a pool with redundancy, you need to do a scrub just before the redundancy is lost, so you can be reasonably sure the remaining data is correct and can rebuild the redundancy.

The problem comes with knowing when this might happen. Of course, if you are doing some planned maintenance which will reduce the pool redundancy, then always do a scrub before that. However, in most cases, the redundancy is lost without prior warning, and you need to do periodic scrubs to cater for this case. I do a scrub via cron once a week on my home system. Having almost completely filled the pool, this was taking about 24 hours. However, now that I've replaced the disks and done a send/recv of the data across to a new larger pool which is only 1/3rd full, that's dropped down to 2 hours.

For a pool with no redundancy, where you rely only on backups for recovery, the scrub needs to be integrated into the backup cycle, such that you will discover corrupt data before it has crept too far through your backup cycle to be able to find a non corrupt version of the data.

When you have a new hardware setup, I would perform scrubs more frequently as a further check that the hardware doesn't have any systemic problems, until you have gained confidence in it.

--
Andrew Gabriel