On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 01:25:35PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> To be clear, the system I was working on the other day is now running
> with a normal ashift=9 pool, on a mirror of WD 2TB EARX.  Not quite
> what I was hoping for, but hopefully it will be OK; I won't have much
> chance to mess with it again for a little while.

That turned out to be a false hope.  The system is almost unusable.

Soon after anything creates a lot of metadata updates, it grinds into
the ground doing ~350 write iops, 0 read, forever trying to write them
out. Processes start blocking on reads and/or txg closes and the
system never comes back. rsync and atimes were the first and worst
culprit, but atime=off wasn't enough to prevent it competely.

It can't just be that these are slow to write out, because I would
expect it to eventually finish. I suspect something else is going on
here. Would zfs re-issue writes if they haven't gotten to the disk
yet, somehow?  I'm not talking about ata commands timing out, but
something at a higher level making a long queue worse.

I'll have to find time to convert this bac to ashift=12 and try your
boot blocks soon.

--
Dan.