On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 10:51:37AM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 01:25:35PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > To be clear, the system I was working on the other day is now running
> > with a normal ashift=9 pool, on a mirror of WD 2TB EARX.  Not quite
> > what I was hoping for, but hopefully it will be OK; I won't have much
> > chance to mess with it again for a little while.
>
> That turned out to be a false hope.  The system is almost unusable.
>
> Soon after anything creates a lot of metadata updates, it grinds into
> the ground doing ~350 write iops, 0 read, forever trying to write them
> out. Processes start blocking on reads and/or txg closes and the
> system never comes back. rsync and atimes were the first and worst
> culprit, but atime=off wasn't enough to prevent it competely.

With a bit of tweaking of workload, I bought enough time to put this off.

> It can't just be that these are slow to write out, because I would
> expect it to eventually finish. I suspect something else is going on
> here.

That something, apparently, was thrashing on swap space. :-/

> I'll have to find time to convert this bac to ashift=12 and try your
> boot blocks soon.

I see via the issue tracker that there have been several updates
since, and an integration back into the main Illumos tree.   How do I
go about getting hold of current boot blocks?

--
Dan.