I have a sneaking suspicion that you'll see the greatest performance when it's
more than 50% overprovisioned.  (Say, 55% or so).  That will guarantee at all
times, there's plenty of unused space available, which the drive can do GC on,
even though the OS doesn't say anything like "TRIM" to the drive.

Specifically I say over 50% because 8k pages, and 4k blocks.