On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 11:20:06AM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Reading the docs for the Hitachi drives, it seems CCTL (aka TLER) is settable
> for Deskstar drives. See page 97 in http://goo.gl/ER0WD

Looks like another positive for these drives over the "competition".
The same appears to be the case for the 5k3000's as well (page 96 in
that document).

Note, however:

   These timers do not apply to streaming commands, or to queued
   commands when out-of-order data delivery is enabled.

I presume the latter is the common case for NCQ reads?  That would
appear to limit the usefulness of this specific knob, even if it's
better than binding it to the model number as other vendors do.

--
Dan.