On 10/22/2011 04:14 PM, Mark Sandrock wrote:
Why don't you see which byte differs, and how it does?
Maybe that would suggest the "failure mode". Is it the
same byte data in all affected files, for instance?

I found something interesting with the .ppt file. Apparently, just opening a .ppt file (not saving though) from MS Office will change bytes in the file and not update the modification time. I was able to duplicate the changes to an arbitrary PPT file (actually it was more than one byte when I looked closer). The MS-PPT spec shows it to be a section related to the current user's profile. The interesting thing is that it kept the length the same, changed bytes, but didn't update the Windows modify time. If I mark the file read-only, it doesn't get changed of course but in both cases, there was no indication from the UI of a change to the file. The Unix stat command for this file shows:

Access: 2011-10-22 18:59:39.671340999 -0500
Modify: 2010-01-12 21:15:07.456360000 -0600
Change: 2011-03-09 20:16:22.094604104 -0600

I originally thought the change date of 2011-03-09 corresponded to some permission changes I made on that folder but that is around the time I would have last opened the file. So the mystery solved for that one. Now on to find out why the 3 Acronis Backup files got modified. This is good news so far...