I am curious to know if there is an easy way to guess or identify the
device names of disks. Previously the /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 system made sense
to me... I had a SATA controller card with 8 ports, and they showed up with
the numbers 1-8 in the "t" position of the device name.

But I just built a new system with two LSI SAS HBAs in it, and my device
names are along the lines of:

I could not find any correlation between that identifier and the a)
controller the disk was plugged in to, or b) the port number on the
controller. The only way I could make a mapping of device name to
controller port was to add one drive at a time, reboot the system, and run
"format" to see which new disk name shows up.

I'm guessing there's a better way, but I can't find any obvious answer as
to how to determine which port on my LSI controller card will correspond
with which seemingly random device name. Can anyone offer any suggestions
on a way to predict the device naming, or at least get the system to list
the disks after I insert one without rebooting?

Thank you!