On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Edward Ned Harvey
<opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:
>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Paul Kraus
>>
>>     If you have compression turned on (and I highly recommend turning
>> it on if you have the CPU power to handle it),
>
> What if he's storing video files, compressed files, or encrypted data?  Then
> compression is 100% waste.  So you should qualify a statement like that...
> Compression can be great, depending on the type of data to be stored.  In my
> usage scenarios, I usually benefit a lot, both in terms of capacity and
> speed, by enabling compression.

    Even with uncompressable data I measure better performance with
compression turned on rather than off. I have been testing with random
data that shows a compressratio of 1:1. I will test with some real
data that is already highly compressed and see if that agrees with my
prior testing.

--
Paul Kraus