On May 7, 2012, at 1:53 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
>> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Bob Friesenhahn
>>
>> Has someone done real-world measurements which indicate that raidz*
>> actually provides better sequential read or write than simple
>> mirroring with the same number of disks?  While it seems that there
>> should be an advantage, I don't recall seeing posted evidence of such.
>> If there was a measurable advantage, it would be under conditions
>> which are unlikely in the real world.
>
> Apparently I pulled it down at some point, so I don't have a URL for you
> anymore, but I did, and I posted.  Long story short, both raidzN and mirror
> configurations behave approximately the way you would hope they do.  That
> is...
>
> Approximately, as compared to a single disk:  And I *mean* approximately,
> because I'm just pulling it back from memory the way I chose to remember it,
> which is to say, a simplified model that I felt comfortable with:

This model is completely wrong for writes. Suggest you deal with writes
separately.

Also, the random reads must be small random reads, where I/O size << 128k.
For most common use cases, expect random reads to be 4k or 8k.
  -- richard

>               seq rd  seq wr  rand rd rand wr
> 2-disk mirror 2x      1x      2x      1x
> 3-disk mirror 3x      1x      3x      1x
> 2x 2disk mirr 4x      2x      4x      2x
> 3x 2disk mirr 6x      3x      6x      3x
> 3-disk raidz  2x      2x      1x      1x
> 4-disk raidz  3x      3x      1x      1x
> 5-disk raidz  4x      4x      1x      1x
> 6-disk raidz  5x      5x      1x      1x
>
> I went on to test larger and more complex arrangements...  Started getting
> things like 1.9x and 1.8x where I would have expected 2x and so forth...
> Sorry for being vague now, but the data isn't in front of me anymore.  Might
> not ever be again.

ZFS Performance and Training
richard.ell...@richardelling.com
+1-760-896-4422