On Thu, 17 May 2012, Paul Kraus wrote:

   Why are you trying to tune the ARC as _low_ as possible? In my
experience the ARC gives up memory readily for other uses. The only
place I _had_ to tune the ARC in production was a  couple systems
running an app that checks for free memory _before_ trying to allocate
it. If the ARC has all but 1 GB in use, the app (which is looking for

On my system I adjusted the ARC down due to running user-space applications with very bursty short-term large memory usage. Reducing the ARC assured that there would be no contention between zfs ARC and the applications.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn