On 05/17/12 15:03, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2012, Paul Kraus wrote:

   Why are you trying to tune the ARC as _low_ as possible? In my
experience the ARC gives up memory readily for other uses. The only
place I _had_ to tune the ARC in production was a  couple systems
running an app that checks for free memory _before_ trying to allocate
it. If the ARC has all but 1 GB in use, the app (which is looking for

On my system I adjusted the ARC down due to running user-space applications with very bursty short-term large memory usage. Reducing the ARC assured that there would be no contention between zfs ARC and the applications.

If the system is running one app which expects to do lots of application level caching (and in theory, the app should be able to work out what's worth caching and what isn't better than any filesystem underneath it can guess), then you should be planning your memory usage accordingly.

For example, a database server, you probably want to allocate much of the system's memory to the database cache (in the case of Oracle, the SGA), leaving enough for a smaller ZFS arc and the memory required by the OS and app. Depends on the system and database size, but something like 50% SGA, 25% ZFS ARC, 25% for everything else might be an example, with the SGA disproportionally bigger on larger systems with larger databases.

On my desktop system (supposed to be 8GB RAM, but currently 6GB due to a dead DIMM), I have knocked the ARC down to 1GB. I used to find the ARC wouldn't shrink in size until system had got to the point of crawling along showing anon page-ins, and some app (usually firefox or thunderbird) had already become too difficult to use. I must admit I did this a long time ago, and ZFS's shrinking of the ARC may be more proactive now than it was back then, but I don't notice any ZFS performance issues with the ARC restricted to 1GB on a desktop system. It may have increase scrub times, but that happens when I'm in bed, so I don't care.

--
Andrew