On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Richard Elling
> The best, proven solution is to not use SATA disks with SAS expanders.
> Since that is likely to be beyond your time and budget, consider upgrading
> to the
> latest HBA and expander firmware.
I recently had the problem with a "reset storm" with five J4400
loaded with SATA drives behind two Sun/Oracle dual port SAS
controllers (LSI based). I was told the following by Oracle Support:
1. It is a known issue
2. software updates in Solaris 10U10 address some of it (we are at 10U9).
3. recommended stopping fmservice as that is a trigger (as well as a
4. the problem happens with SAS as well as SATA drives, but is much
5. Oracle is pushing for new FW for the HBA to address the issue
6. a chain of three J4400 is much more likely to experience it than a
chain of two (we have one chain of two and one chain of three, the
problem occurred on the chain of three)
Not specifically applicable here, but probably related and might be of
use to someone here.
-> Senior Systems Architect, Garnet River ( http://www.garnetriver.com/ )
-> Assistant Technical Director, LoneStarCon 3 (http://lonestarcon3.org/)
-> Sound Coordinator, Schenectady Light Opera Company (
-> Technical Advisor, Troy Civic Theatre Company
-> Technical Advisor, RPI Players
zfs-discuss mailing list