>How did you decide it is okay and that zfs saved you? Did you
>NOT post some further progress in your recovery?

I made no further recovery attempts,  the pool imported cleanly after
rebooting, or so i thought [1] as a zpool status showed no errors and i
could read data from the drive again.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Edward Ned Harvey <
opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensola...@nedharvey.com> wrote:

> > From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> > boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Jim Klimov
> >
> > Purely speculating, I might however suggest that your disk was
> > dedicated to the pool completely, so its last blocks contain
> > spare uberblocks (zpool labels) and that might help ZFS detect
> > and import the pool -
>
> Certain types of data have multiple copies on disk.  I have overwritten the
> first 1MB of a disk before, and then still been able to import the pool, so
> I suspect, with a little effort, you'll be able to import your pool again.
>
> After the pool is imported, of course, some of your data is very likely to
> be corrupt.  ZFS should be able to detect it, because the checksum won't
> match.  You should run a scrub.

[1]  Ok i have run a scrub on the pool and is now being reported as being
in DEGRADED status again.

I did think it was strange that the zpool had magically recovered its self:

root@n36l:~# zpool status data2
  pool: data2
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h26m with 0 errors on Thu Jul 12 15:07:47 2012
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        data2       DEGRADED     0     0     0
          c2t0d0s0  DEGRADED     0     0     0  too many errors

errors: No known data errors

At least it is letting me access data for now, i guess the only fix is to
migrate data off and then "rebuild" the disk.

--
Ritchie