Do you move the pools between machines, or just on the same physical machine?
Could you just use symlinks from the new root to the old root so that the names
work until you can reboot?  It might be more practical to always use symlinks
if you do a lot of moving things around, and then you wouldn't have to figure
out how to do the reboot shuffle.  Instead, you could just shuffle the symlinks.

Gregg Wonderly